Saturday, July 6, 2013

Happy 4th of July!

Happy belated birthday America!   I can imagine the smell of charcoal with sausages and burgers over the grill.  I finally tried a burger here in Manila, but sadly, it just isn’t the same.  It definitely makes me miss home. 

As I celebrate this American holiday in a country thousands of miles away, it reminds me of the values and words written in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution…the foundation on which America is based.  Similarly, I’m reminded of the words of another Constitution that are written on the wall outside of my school: 

“The enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of health
is one of the fundamental rights of every human being”

Written in many different languages on the wall, the most well-known line in the WHO Constitution highlights the fundamental necessity of equity in health…the foundation of my desire to work in healthcare.  These words reveal that the distribution of services is equally as important as its provision.  Based on my research, I’ve learned that too little attention that is paid to equity and often the most vulnerable groups are overlooked in priority-setting research, especially women.  Mental health problems, cancer, and obviously reproductive health conditions manifest so differently in women; however, too many organizations become too preoccupied with providing access without taking into account the mix of services being offered.  Forget about the biological aspect for a second – access to income and resources, status level, behavioral norms all affect women’s health, yet there is too little disaggregation of data by gender in health research.  And do you know what the scariest part is?  This type of research could ultimately wind up CONTRIBUTING to gender disparities.

To be honest, I don’t know how much I would have taken this dimension into account had it not been for the funding provided by the WAPPP.  But now, I have a chance to make my research matter more for groups that need the most help, and I’m really thankful for that perspective.  Looking back on the words of the WHO Constitution written on the wall of my school, it would usually be difficult to pinpoint any word or few words that are more important than the others.  Words like “enjoyment,” “highest attainable,” and “fundamental” could spark conversations that could go on for hours (and trust me…I’ve been in far too many of them in my classes).  But for this project…this summer, the important words are all too clear to me: “every human being.”



No comments:

Post a Comment