Thursday, July 11, 2013

Late night trip to the ER

It was another eventful week in Manila, but unfortunately, it was a little scarier than I would have hoped.  There are a lot of scary things in Manila – being in rush hour traffic with cars that have no regard for traffic laws, getting stuck in torrential downpours during monsoon season, having potentially dengue-infected mosquitoes flying by your legs during the day.  However, there are few things that scare a new husband more than his wife getting sick in a developing country.  My wife had a small medical emergency and we had to go to the emergency room in the middle of the night.  Thankfully, everything is okay now due to the good folks at Makati Medical Center, but it definitely gave us a scare!

As we were sitting in the waiting room in the emergency department, I was reminded of the fact that I had an opportunity to work at Makati Medical this summer.  It appears as if I was destined to come to Manila!  It was a great opportunity that would have given me a chance to see the inner workings of a very successful hospital in a developing country, but it just wasn’t the right fit.  After researching a bit more, I discovered that Makati Medical Center is indeed one of the top hospitals in Manila.  Upon closer inspection, when one looks at the top 3 hospitals in Manila, they are all located in the most affluent areas of the city.  While I would have had the chance to see the high quality of care at one of the country’s most prestigious hospitals, it would ultimately be a summer providing services to the small percent of the city that could afford such high quality of care.  Not that there is anything wrong with providing quality care to these folks (like my wife), but I was looking for something else.  My hope is that the rest of the hospitals in Manila can someday attain the same level of care that Makati Medical Center provides.

“He who has health has hope.
He who has hope has everything.”


I’ve always liked this Arabian proverb, and it was something I kept in mind when I was choosing what I wanted to do this summer.  The work that I am doing now with the WHO focuses on individuals with some of the most neglected health conditions and often times without hope.  I hope that my work will contribute to providing these individuals with the hope that the medicines that they so desperately need will someday be available to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment